I launched a special blog series to honor and champion other women in business. This is a companion service to a new podcast that launched on October 1, 2020.
My intention is to share insights of lessons learned by businesswomen and also elevate their services to the greater community. The goal is to inform and inspire other women with ideas in order to empower them to grow their own business ventures.
Susan Lataille is the managing director of the Polka Dot Powerhouse – Central RI chapter.
1. What is your background as an entrepreneur?
I’ve owned my own business since January 2010 when I knew it was time to move on from my current employment. I started in event production with one event, the DiscoverYou Wellness Expo. It seemed like a natural progression in my career. I found something that I was good at doing and loved.
2. If you could go back to your younger self, what kind of advice would you give yourself about your pursuit to create your own business?
Ask for help! This is one area that I wish I would have found others that could help me shorten the learning curve.
3. If you could go 5 years in the future, what do you think your future self would share with you?
Stay focused on your goals. All you need to do is take one step at a time to move forward and stay consistent. Find out as much information as you can to make educated decisions. Always find the fun in everything you do.
4. Who has inspired you?
So many people throughout the years that I’ve met from my events. Picking the most inspiring would be Kerry Cudmore, whom I’m not sure where I’d be without her being my life and business coach.
5. What do you do for fun?
I love Cape Cod and get there as much as possible. I enjoy the beach, trails, and travel. I’m always looking for new experiences.
6. What advice would you share with someone who is thinking about, or just beginning, managing their own business?
Get help! Contact SCORE or other local agencies that help such as the Center for Women & Enterprise.
7. How do you describe your entrepreneurial spirit?
Go for it!
8. Any suggestions on resources: books, podcasts, online learning, blogs + tools?
There’s so many! I love anything by Mel Robbins, Simon Sinek, Brené Brown and many more.
9. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
Currently, I’m in a place of discovery of what’s next for me. The best answer for this at the moment is doing something I love while being of service to others.
10. Can you share a favorite quote?
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our Light, not our Darkness, that most frightens us.
Learn more about Susan: